What's required get it running
- A Raspberry PI (Models available are A, Zero, B, B+ and the new 2 B) below is the original model B this model is no longer available but the new Raspberry PI 2 B does everything this one does and its also faster and has more GPIO pins)
- USB keyboard and mouse. As my PI only had 2 USB ports I found a keyboard that has a USB hub and plugged the mouse in to the keyboard.
- Video lead to connect to your display. My display does not have a HDMI port so I purchased a HDMI to DVI converter lead (DVI and HDMI use the same protocol but with a different connector). I would not recommend using the composite port as the resolution is too small to be of any use.
- USB 5 volt power supply with a micro-USB connector. To drive I/O and other stuff it should be a 2 amp unit (Most are 1 amp so you will have to look around). The connector is just for power and has no USB functions for that use the full size USB connections.
- Network connection is also required or qualified a WIFI module can be used. For initial setup use a cable it makes life easier.
- SD card with the Raspbian Wheezy operating system installed. (The NOOBS SD download includes Raspbian and is what all new user should use).